: : Pimpin Worldwide $$$

Monday, November 20, 2006

Roppongi/Kabuki in Ginza

Last Friday me, James & Ish headed to Roppongi to get James acquainted with Tokyo's sleazy quarters. I compiled a list of the sleaziest joints in town and we hit them up one by one. Got kicked out of the first one cause I was a smart-ass to the manager. He was being a prick so I told him. No loss. Then we went to the cheap places to get properly boozed before heading to Gaspanic, the king of them all. It was dissappointing though so we went to the good old Brazilian bar underneath it, which is always a nice place to be.

When 5am came aroud Ish headed to work and me & James kicked on. After revisiting the cheap place and harrassing some American girls who thought they were pretty hot stuff, we (mostly James) managed to get into some trouble which occupied the next hour or so. Was pretty hairy but everything turned out okay, although I should slap James. Then we met a crazy Japanese guy who took us to a few other bars and bought us drinks, before we stumbled home in the early hours of the day. Can't go into too many details cause it was a week ago now and I don't remember most of them. But we did get job offers at a bar which I will try out this week.

On Sunday I went with Eri to see my first Kabuki show at the culturally important Kabuki-za theatre in Ginza. It was fairly interesting, the costumes & make-up looked amazing. However the music and story was fairly bizarre and boring for me. I'm sure the Japanese people in the Edo period loved it, but for me it all went over my head.

I did enjoy one scene where an 8 year old boy had a (dancing-style) sword fight with an elderly man. The choreography was quite nice and just seeing a little dude painted completely white and in all-samurai gear was cool. Plus it was nice to just walk around Ginza on a Sunday evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home