: : Pimpin Worldwide $$$

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Perfect Start (Almost)

My last two weeks in Tokyo were frantic, particularly with trying to make plans and organise a flight itinerary for 19 flights over the next seven months. I think I have squeezed out a good plan, but all plans change so we'll see what happens. It was particularly difficult as I didn't have my laptop which was still in Australia being repaired. Right now I am sitting in a hotel in Hong Kong backwriting all this months posts.

Anyway it all got done somehow, but I had no time to research my first destination; Shanghai. We arrived at the airport more or less clueless with what to do, although Eri had a Japanese guidebook and I knew I had to get to the STA office to organise my flight to Hong Kong. It brought back unpleasant memories of my first arrivial in Thailand, it's not a good feeling arriving in another country without being prepared. In a strange place, where english is not common, carrying luggage around with no one to help you. This time turned out fine actually but just that feeling reminded me how stressful travelling can be if you are not clued in.

We managed to get a cheap hotel in a great spot, right off Nanjing Rd which was nice despite the staff's general unhelpfulness. Thanks to Chin's recommendations we found ourselves at a nice trendy bar next to the Musuem of Contemporary Art after walking around a bit, where we mingled with the expat crowd. Afterwards we wandered into some fashion party next door and helped ourselves to the free wine and food on offer. Sunday was a glorius day, starting off with an amazing lunch at Ye Olde Station restaurant, followed by a trip to the Urban Planning Museum to try and understand the huge beast of a city, then a walk through the 'old town' area, then we saw the Shanghai acrobats show with all the other tourists and finally had a drink on the Bund at Bar Rouge.

Monday was a bit disappointing, as the trip to the famous Oriental Pearl Tower ended up taking too much time. So we had to skip a trip to the artist district of 50 Mogashan Road and one last delicious Shanghai meal to get to the airport on time. Other than that blemish the 2 night trip was perfect. We ate, drank, danced and sight saw a lot in the crazy city and had a great time. Of course saying goodbye at the airport was rough. We don't know what will happen in the future but I definately know it's not the end. It was too good to let it go. I think the 7 months will go quickly, but what will happen after is hard to say; at least we had a beautiful time in Japan, Singapore and especially Shanghai. We should be thankful for those special times and leave the rest to fate, hopefully the future will be even better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home