: : Pimpin Worldwide $$$

Monday, April 16, 2007

At Least My Pants Were Dry

Yesterday was the big day, I had heard of Fuji Q Highland not long after I came to Japan and looked forward to/feared the day when I would have to go and put my manhood to the test. The one thing that gave me confidence was looking around at the other patrons of the park who ranged from kids to high school girls to salary-man types to grandmas, which made me think "if they can do it, surely I can". But Japanese people can often be tougher than they look, take the Prime Minister Shinzo Abe for example he looks a bit like Yogi Bear.

Anyway, Buri-chan & Aska drove me & Eri, Masa and Buris friend Shun down to Yamanashi near Mount Fuji to get some stress blown away by adrenaline. When I set eyes on the big coasters from the car my hands immediately started sweating which Eri pointed out to everyone for their enjoyment. I was told it's best to go to the main attractions early in the morning so we went to the biggest one Fujiyama first thing in the morning, despite my wishes to go to Thomas Town. Ten years ago when it was built it was the tallest and fastest rollercoaster in the world, while not the number 1 anymore it's still insane and a hell of a way to start the day. The main drop was intense but what is really crazy about this ride is the length. When you think it should be almost over there are another 5 or 6 dips which really push your tolerance capacity. Inevitably I screamed like a girl and Eri laughed in fits at me (not with).

Afterwards I felt pretty good, the first is the hardest so we headed to the next station of insanity Eejanaika which holds the record for the most number of inversions on a ride (14). It's actually called a dimension-coaster because you are harnessed in from the top and your feet remain free to dangle and you move independently of the track (backwards, forwards, in various loops) which is very disorientating and you have no idea which way you are or will be going. The most intense moment comes at the start when after ascending slowly for a few minutes (backwards) the ride comes to its biggest dip which you can only see half a second before you go down it. Its hard to describe but the thing is pure insanity.

After our high voltage morning we spent most of the rest of day on the parks other more tame attractions, including a very amusing 30 minute trip through a haunted hospital with live zombies (Japanese dudes) in it. I think the girls were a lot more scared than the guys, but apparently I pushed Eri in front of me and used her as a shield between me and the zombie but I don't remember it. We wrapped up the day with another go of Fujiyama and me & Eri got the first cart to my (sarcastic) delight and in an appropriate finish to the day I ended up with a combination of spit and nose drippings (it was cold) smeared all over my face with my hair up on ends. Laughs were had (by others), photos were taken and we went home to wrap up another solid weekend of fun.

The last one is gone now which is hard to believe. At least next weekend Eri will come with me to Shanghai which will make it less sad when I go. But still sad indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home